War Heritage Roadshow – Frankston
Frankston Mechanics Institute
1A Plowman Place
T: (03) 9348 5700
See more events from
Australia's experience of war, especially WWI and WWII, helped shape our sense of ourselves as a nation and as a community with a distinctive ethos and way of life. To provide opportunities for future generations to understand, investigate and value these experiences, we must ensure that significant material relating to Australia's war heritage is preserved, not just in official national and state institutions, but also in personal, family and community collections.
The War Heritage Roadshow 2017 is a free two-day event with conservation and war heritage experts delivered by the Department of Premier and Cabinet – Veterans Branch and the Grimwade Centre for Cultural Materials Conservation.
Day 1: Consultation Day
Book in for a 20 minute one-on-one consultation session with an expert:
- Jude Fraser, specialising in paper-based wartime memorabilia (photos, prints, documents and diaries)
- Carmela Lonetti, specialising in 3D artefacts (uniforms, military kits and equipment, medals and textiles)
- David Gardner, Director of the RAAF Museum, who will assist with general and historical information.
Bookings are essential for consultations. Memorabilia brought in for these sessions will be photographed as a documentary record of the workshops. For your safety and that of others there is strictly no weapons or munition. If you would like advice about these, please bring a photo.
Rolling collection care demonstrations will also be running throughout the day. These include cleaning of metals, archival storage for memorabilia, preventive measures and storage of textiles and researching military history.
Day 2: Activity Day
Demonstrations and information sessions on caring for wartime memorabilia, including:
- Cleaning of metals
- Checking for and preventing insect attack
- Disaster preparedness in the home
- Removing photographs from magnetic albums
- Researching military history and medal information
- Storage of textile memorabilia.